Deadline: September 16, 2016
Setsuné Indigenous Fashion Incubator and imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival are partnering for the second year on the Tote Bag Illustration Project! In 2015, Victoria Ransom (Mohawk of Akwesasne) was the selected artist for this project. Her work, Turtle Island Harmony, used traditional Iroquois motifs that aesthetically represented the uplifting feeling that happens when Indigenous people from all over gather for special occasions. This year we are seeking an illustration that shows and tells your perspective for the revolution and future of the global Indigenous community.
We are seeking one-colour illustrations from around the world by young, self-identified Indigenous artists aged 16-35. Your illustration expresses Indigenous revolution and the future and will be printed on imagineNATIVE’s 2016 Delegate Tote Bag. We will select one totally rad illustration to be printed on imagineNATIVE’s 600 delegate bags. Delegate bags are gifted to local, national and international guests in Toronto who work in film, TV, broadcast, new media and entertainment.
SELECTED ARTIST GETS:
- Standard CARFAC artist fee (from section B.4.3.1. Cards, Etc. Distributed Free of Charge)
- Artwork and name printed on 600 delegate bags
- Networking opportunity, with one (1) imagineNATIVE Festival pass
- Participate in and/or oversee the product development process
- Two (2) Delegate Bags for your archives
- Full sponsorship for the Setsuné Indigenous Fashion Incubator’s 2017 Research & Development Workshop Series (Toronto-based, travel/accommodations are not provided at this time)
- Self-identifying Indigenous woman artist
- From anywhere in the world
- Aged 16 – 35
We are accepting digital applications to email@example.com. The email subject line should read: “Application: imagineNATIVE/Setsuné Project”
1. In 1 – 2 pages, please provide the following as a PDF:
- Contact Information
- First Name
- Last Name
- Indigenous Nation
- One paragraph Artist Statement as it relates to future, revolution and Indigeneity.
2. As a JPG, please provide the following copy of your artwork, which should be:
- Within 13”W X 14”H dimensions
- An expression of future, revolution and Indigeneity
If your work is selected, we will require a high-quality vector file of your artwork. We can provide some assistance for this, if needed.
imagineNATIVE and Setsuné artistic leads will select the artist and their work. We will select artwork based on creativity, quality, messaging and aesthetic.
Only the artist whose work is selected will be contacted. The selected artist will be announced on September 19, 2016.
CONTACT US // QUESTIONS
** Email is preferred **
416 459 8280
ABOUT SETSUNÉ INDIGENOUS FASHION INCUBATOR
Setsuné (set-soon-eh) means grandmother in the Dene language and we use it to acknowledge intergenerational crossovers, blood memory and oral histories expressed through fashion and the arts. Setsuné Indigenous Fashion Incubator program and partnerships foster and promote the artistic creation and exhibition of new works by Indigenous artists working in traditional and contemporary fashion, textiles and wearable art. Setsuné Inc. is a social enterprise extension of the Incubator with a focus on the economic development and wellbeing of Indigenous women entrepreneurs who work in fashion, textiles and apparel retail.
ABOUT IMAGINENATIVE FILM + MEDIA ARTS FESTIVAL
Since our first Festival in 2000, the imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival has programmed film, video, radio and digital media works made by Canadian and international Indigenous media artists in key creative roles as producers, directors, and/or writers. In programming these works over the years, imagineNATIVE has embraced works from Indigenous creators that push artistic boundaries to represent a diversity of ideas, themes and genres in our programming, seeking representations of subjects that would not necessarily be made available through mainstream forms of media.
The 17th annual imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival takes place October 19-23, 2016 in downtown Toronto.